Friday, August 6, 2010

Shabby Shutters

So I've been on a "Shutter kick" for the last few weeks.  To me, shutters on the outside of your house are like curtains on the inside of your house...they just complete the look of the home, and throw in some character while they're at it.  BUT, take them from the outside and use them on the inside, and there's all kinds of other things you can do with them!  

I have a few of these black shutters (pictured on left) that came from an old farmhouse in Stone Lake, Wisconsin.  They're all very distressed, which adds even more to their character.




Use them as message boards, photo or art displays, hair bow organizer, jewelry holder, pot racks, screens, trellis, book and/or magazine rack, candleholders, headboards, chalkboards, or as just plain rustic art. 

This shutter (pictured on right) was handpainted and is now being used as art in a client's bathroom.





I've searched all around for old shutters, most of which are quite expensive, so I get extra excited when I find some in my "thrifty gal" price range.  I am listing some on my website that are available.  Go to http://www.erinsattic.com/ and check under "Projects & Finds" page.  Look through the pictures, and it will tell you quantity and price.

These shutters (pictured on left) were from a house built in 1901 in Buckhead, and the fleur de lis hinges were from the same house as well.  This would work as a full-size headboard or just wall art. 






Here's some custom built shutters with flowerboxes (pictured on right) that are in my daughter's bedroom.  These can be custom ordered with color of your choice.







Leslie Wells, a friend of Erin's Attic, has photographed "letters in nature" and her photography will be featured in a new line of windows coming out soon...BUT how cute is this shutter with the word "N-A-T-U-R-E" in pictures, hung with my cute little handcrafted clothespins???

So if you come across an old shutter, think twice before passing it by.
They're just so cute, with so much character, and such functionality!
I'll be posting more shutter ideas soon on my Erin's Attic Facebook page as well.

2 comments: